Forums » Pearl's Cafe

CORPER SHUN!!! Episode 11

• 199 posts
    February 7, 2015 6:30 AM CET

CORPER SHUN!!!

Last Episode

These and many other thoughts ran through my mind. As an only child, I had been under the compulsory protection of my parents.

My thoughts drifted again to my 'would-be' adventure and questions. Then finally I sighed and told myself “Well, I’ll find out when I get there.”

“Derin!” Shaye shook me. Apparently, I had forgotten I was with him. He had poured out his heart, told me what he thought about when we were upstairs, but I did not hear a single word. I had been carried away in my world.

I felt so terrible, I stopped walking and I stopped him too, I turned to him, looked into his brown piercing eyes and said again “I'm sorry love, I got carried away, I am just excited about the whole thing and imagining what it would be like in another city. You know having being born, bred and buttered in Jos, I am just excited that finally I will be away from my parent for a whole year. I've heard so much about Lagos and going there now thrills me”

For full story of episode 10, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 11

As if he saw something for the first time, Shaye looked at me wide eyed “So you mean you did not hear all I was saying?”

At this point, I became ashamed of myself, yet I answered honestly “to be honest with you dear, I did not.”  

Shaye’s countenance dropped more, but I immediately said “Am sorry, really I am, ok am all ears now,”

“never mind,” Shaye replied.

I was determined to get it over with, I never wanted to hurt Shaye, so as he walked forward I stood in front of him and said

“ha ha now, but I said I am sorry, you know am a great listener, today is just different. Sweet? Talk to me, love”

Then I tickled him like we did to each other, at first, he tried to resist and then he gave in, laughed, he tried tickling me back as I tried to dodge, I saw myself in the air being spinned.

Shaye had carried me and spinned me. I screamed with excitement, then he stopped. We looked deeply into each other’s eyes and smiled.

Then Shaye said

“That’s why I love you, you always have your way of making me happy. I don’t want to lose you never!”

“I love you too Shaye,” I responded and we hugged each other.

“Haba! Mr & Mrs! You are outside now! Get a room abeg and stop corrupting innocent eyes” Irene called out from inside the Caféteria. Apparently, she had been watching us from the window.

Irene was one of my course mates, we went to the same secondary school. She was a beautiful, shapely girl too, nominated for Miss Shape in secondary school, two-time punctuality prefect, best debater of our set then and best behaved student. We were of the same height and I really liked and admired her. I was so glad to see her again when we ended up in the same University.

Irene was born again and always preached to me. I always told her I'd be her number one church member anytime she was ready to start her church but I wasn't ready to live a “caged” life like hers because I was already in one which was my home. At least that was how I viewed christianity then.

“Oops. We forgot,” Shaye said as he put me down. “We did not know we were already in front of the cafeteria.”

“Hello my lovely Pastor Irene,” I greeted Irene as Shaye and I entered the caféteria. She stood up to come greet us.

Then, she tapped my shoulder in a girlish manner and said “Nawa for you o! No call, no text, no flash, no...”

“You, did you call, after all, I flashed you a few times” I interrupted.

Irene tried to defend herself but I immediately I replied, “You see! I better pass you, at least I flashed...” Flash is another expression in Nigeria of calling a person deliberately with the intention for the phone to ring but not for the person to pick up the call.

“Flash, and you are proud to say it, imagine?” Irene said and we both laugh.

“May we sit down?” Shaye said reminding us that we were standing.

“Oh sorry Oga” Irene said, when she realised we had all being standing.

Then we chose one of the tables at the corner of the caféteria.

“Irene where were you posted?” I asked,

“My dear, it's Lagos o!” she replied.

“Wow! This is good, I'm loving this!” I said, obviously excited.

Irene was surprised, “shu, why?”

“I am also posted to Lagos too!” I told her happily!

“Wow! That’s great, we blessed God, which means we will be together!” She said in her 'spirikoko' way.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.