Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Ep 29 - Camp Fire Night

• 199 posts
    January 15, 2016 12:06 AM CET

PLATOON II

CAMP FIRE NIGHT

LAST EPISODE

Sheila then stood up and came close to me, she pulled me up and patted me on my back.

I was shocked, scared and puzzled at the same time. The guard took me outside and showed me the path that would lead me back to the party scene. The path was narrow and dark, I was afraid, I walked as fast as I could until I saw a flicker of light then I ran till I entered the party. Corps members talked and laughed loudly. I was too scared to enjoy the party so I just left for the hostel.

It was a long, cold and lonely walk back to the hostel. I was puzzled and troubled. “You lose, you snooze. If you don't want your parents to lose you, be sharp.” Those words rang in my head.

As I laid on my back with my face to the seeing, I reflected on the last few hours “who is Lewa? Who is Sheila?” I asked my self the rhetorical questions only time would answer.

For full story of episode 28, please click “Back to topics” at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You

PLATOON II

CAMP FIRE NIGHT

EPISODE 29

I was awoken by Lewa's voice and Irene's laughter. The room was a little noisy from the girls gisting away. There were like eighty girls in the room, 40 bunks and 2 people to a bunk, one up and one down. Irene and I shared a bunk. I slept down while Irene slept up. Lewa must have come have come in late in the night because I slept off almost immediately I laid on my bed.

I traced my wrist watch to check the time. It was 9am. I did not know I had slept that long. It was weekend already. I could not believe I had spent five days already outside my home. Just then, my phone rang, it was my mum.

Good morning ma,” I said with a sleepy voice.

Derin Ayaaba, how are you? How is camp? Irene and everybody?” She asked on the other end.

Everything and every one is fine ma” I said as I yawned.

You are still sleeping?” My mother asked.

No ma, I just woke up ma” I responded.

Ok dear, I called to check on you. Hope you are keeping up? Remember, the home you are from and make us proud” She said.

Ok ma” I answered. “How is Daddy?” I asked.

He's fine, he went for the Landlord associations meeting, he will soon be back.” She answered.

Yes ma.” I responded. Please greet him for me ma.

Ok Derin, l'ayo o!” She baded me farewell.

Amin ma, odabo ma” I responded and she ended the call.

L'ayo in yoruba, the western part of Nigeria is a way of saying, we'll meet again in joy. My mum said that a lot as her way of saying good bye. After I dropped the call, Shaye's call came in, we talked for a some minutes exchanging our experiences.

Shaye seemed to be having a swell time on camp from his information, it was a similar experience of girls wanting to be around him and also the soldiers yelling at Corps Members. He noticed, I was not so enthusiastic about my own experience compared to my excitement when I was looking forward to leaving. When he asked, I told him all was well, that I was just tired from the stress of the week. I had to come up with that excuse because Shaye would have pressed on and I did not want to disclose anything yet.

I missed Shaye, I missed him so much but some how, there was still something in me that hope for something better. As soon as Shaye and I finished talking, Annabel called. It looked like it was planned, because they called after each other.

Hi Babe, how's Lagos? Any adventure yet?” Annabel teased.

That sure brought a smile to my face. I did not know how to answer. My experience the previous night was still like a dream to me and I sincerely wished it was a dream. I told her I was fine and Lagos was good too. As we spoke, I thought on whether to tell Annabel about the experience or not. I did not hear most of what Annabel said because I was thinking of how to talk about it.

Finally, I said “Annabel, there is something I need to tell you”

...to be continued.

Copyright © 2016 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at January 15, 2016 9:35 PM CET