Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Ep 30 - New Week, New Life

• 199 posts
    January 15, 2016 12:09 AM CET

PLATOON II

NEW WEEK NEW LIFE

LAST EPISODE

I was awoken by Lewa's voice and Irene's laughter. The room was a little noisy from the girls gisting away. There were like eighty girls in the room, 40 bunks and 2 people to a bunk, one up and one down. Irene and I shared a bunk. I slept down while Irene slept up. Lewa must have come have come in late in the night because I slept off almost immediately I laid on my bed.

I traced my wrist watch to check the time. It was 9am. I did not know I had slept that long. It was weekend already. I could not believe I had spent five days already outside my home. Just then, my phone rang, it was my mum.

I missed Shaye, I missed him so much but some how, there was still something in me that hope for something better. As soon as Shaye and I finished talking, Annabel called. It looked like it was planned, because they called after each other.

Hi Babe, how's Lagos? Any adventure yet?” Annabel teased.

That sure brought a smile to my face. I did not know how to answer. My experience the previous night was still like a dream to me and I sincerely wished it was a dream. I told her I was fine and Lagos was good too. As we spoke, I thought on whether to tell Annabel about the experience or not. I did not hear most of what Annabel said because I was thinking of how to talk about it.

Finally, I said “Annabel, there is something I need to tell you”

For full story of episode 29, please click “Back to topics” at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You

PLATOON II

NEW WEEK NEW LIFE

EPISODE 30

I paused for a while as I made that statement. Lewa was still carried away gisting with Irene. She must be telling her about the party. The noise in the room was abit louder that it was when I woke up. Some girls were dressing up to go out while some argued aggressively about something I did not know about.

Hello?... Hello, Derin are you still there?” Annabel said.

Yes,” I answered.

Derin are you ok? Whats up?” Annabel's voice sounded concerned.

At that point I began to cry. This was when Irene and Lewa knew I had woken up. I could not say anything again. I just cut the call and cried profusely. Irene came close and hugged me.

Derin, why are you crying?” She asked.

I want to go home, I want to go home” I said amidst tears.

The room suddenly got quiet. I became the centre of attraction.

Oh my, ajebota, she dey miss her mama” someone scoffed from the crowd and everybody laughed.

Na where dem bring this one come from sef? Daddy's girl” Another girl asked where I came from. They all scoffed and scorned at me and my nativity. I simply ignored. Irene held my hands, looked at me and said

Derin, calm down and tell me what is wrong?”

Mscheew! Cry Cry baby, imagine, I thought it was something serious. Chai! Derin, you fall my hand” Lewa lamented.

I could not believe I was crying. “Where have all my toughness and crave for adventure gone to?” I asked myself.

“You fall my hand” is a pidgin way of saying you disappointed me. Lewa was pissed at the fact that I cried because I missed home. Nobody knew when I woke up and I spoke quietly on the phone when mum, Shaye and Annabel called. Annabel tried calling back several time but I did not pick. I did not understand what happened the previous night. I wanted to speak with someone, at the same time I was to scared to talk. It was later Annabel sent a text to me that she was worried and I should pick her call. I responded by saying, I'd call her later.

The real reason for my tears was not to go home but because of my experience the previous night. I thought I had been initiated into some sort of cult but I was later to discover it was not so. Irene consoled me and after a while I stopped crying and just laid back to rest. It was a saturday and from information gathered, weekends were free on camp for corps members.

Irene took care of me, she went to Maami Market to get me food throughout the whole day and also kept me company while Lewa was out as usual for that day. Irene tried to lighten the mood by asking about the party but I answered coldly. She tried to share some of the interesting things that happened that Lewa had told he but she noticed I did not show interest, so she kept quiet and after a while just laid beside me quietly as we both stared at the empty air.

...to be continued.

Copyright © 2016 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!

• January 15, 2016 9:40 PM CET
    Poor Derin. #lols#
    Weldone sis! God bless you.
    This post was edited by Akinbulu Oluwatomilola Oluwatomisin at January 15, 2016 9:42 PM CET
    • 199 posts
    January 17, 2016 8:12 AM CET
    Lol! Real Poor Derin! Lol! Amen! God bless you too! N thanks for reading n commenting. Its quite encouraging