Forums » Pearl's Cafe

CORPER SHUN!!! Episode 13

• 199 posts
    February 14, 2015 6:04 AM CET

Last Episode

“Spirikoko” is yet another expression used in Nigeria for Born Again Christians who are 100% devoted to their service and dedication to God. This is usually reflected in their conduct and conversations with people.

I was glad to have Irene posted to Lagos. At least, I'd have a familiar face with me in Lagos. I was definitely going to miss my dear Annabel but we would talk on phone and visit each other. Sometimes I wondered why Irene and I had to be together for so long; same secondary school, same University now we were going to serve at the same place.

There was a long pause after Irene left, then, Shaye spoke up, “I’ll miss you Derin but don’t worry, I’ll be faithful to you” he said as he placed his right palm on my cheek gently. I rested my face in his palm and held his hand tightly to my cheek and said “Me too” Shaye. Then we shared our plans with each other after which, we ate and left for our various houses.

Shaye and I alighted at the last bus stop to my house, we hugged each other tightly and bade ourselves farewell.

For full story of episode 12, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 13

As I walked home happily. I reflected on what happened earlier that day. Home as at then was my Aunty's house at Osun State. I got there a day to when I was supposed to go get my call up letter and I was to leave the day after. I took the first bus to Jos the next morning.

During the journey to Jos, I remembered home in Jos and my countenance fell. I thought of my parents. “I wonder what mum and dad will say about this now.” That thought burst the bubble of my excitement as it dawned on me that they may not like the idea of Lagos.“Yes, I would miss them but would they allow me out of their sight? Mummy may want to raise her eye brow about Lagos, she knew my tendency of wanting freedom. Daddy on the other hand may be okay with it but he would want me to live with one of his brothers or sisters or one of mum's relations. I did not want to live with any body. I wanted to stay on my own. Living with any relative was the same as living with my parents, I would be monitored. Yet if I did not agree to stay with any relations, i'd have to choose between redeploying to Jos or going to Lagos to live with a relation.” After thinking hard about it, I was resolute to go to Lagos and not to stay with any relations. I heaved a deep sigh “I will sort myself out” I said to myself, I shook the worry out of my mind and enjoyed the rest of my journey to Jos. 

I got to Jos at 8pm and took a cab home. The station to my house was one and half hours. I got home at 9:30pm and knocked on the gate.

“Na who be that?” Musa our security guard called out asking who was at the gate as he opened the gate's slut to peep to see who was there.

“Na me Mallam” I answered back.

“Ha, Yarinya Derin, sannu dazuwa, Yaya tafiya? You bring something come for me?” He greeted me as he opened the gate for me. All he said in Hausa Language was “little Derin, welcome, How was your journey? Did you bring anything for me?” Musa is fond of calling me “little” because he was employed when I was a toddler. I had grown to get used to it over time. Hausa Language is the Language spoken in Northern Nigeria.

“Yawwa, Nagode, Akoi Mama and Papa?” I responded that my day was fine and asked if my parents were home. He told me they were home.

As I walked towards the entrance door of the house, I braced up myself and adjusted my countenance. I told myself whatever mum and dad would do, I was determined to go serve in Lagos even if I had to leave the house without their consent. I was prepared to fight, I was set to stand up for myself no more mummy and daddy's rule. I was ready to be a rebel.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at February 17, 2015 12:09 AM CET
  • February 14, 2015 4:59 PM CET
    Hmmmm..waiting to know what happen