Forums » Singles' Discussion

She said she doesn't want to change her surname.

• March 3, 2016 10:47 PM CET
    My fiancee said she wouldn't be changing her surname to my name after our marriage and I don't think I can ever take this from her despite the depth of our love. This is causing serious issues between us, please how do I handle this?
  • March 4, 2016 2:41 AM CET
    Allow it like she has said. It once happened to my uncle who tried to force a child he abondoned so many years to completely Change her name to His. In Attempt to do that, the whole stuff was blown off and the situation is even worst.
    • 212 posts
    March 9, 2016 1:36 PM CET

For those who like scriptural backing to every action.there is nowhere in scripture where a woman must change her name after marriage,neither is it written that a woman must must follow a man to his church after marriage and also wear wedding ring but wisdom is profitable to direct and we humans have the spirit of peace and can work things out even if it is not stated in the bible.

Change of name simple implies change of covering or authoruity. A woman has moved from her father's house or authority to that of her husband. Even if she does not change her name,it does not change the fact her authority has changed. I think it is just a cultural thing

Many female celebrity do not change their name because their name has already become a brand.they simply dd the name or keep bearing their maiden name. It is not wrong. do what is comfortable with you.

If you are fine with her in every other area and it is just this,let it be...she will chnage it her self. I was telling my colleague the other day that it feels akward changing my name after marriiage and that i was suppose to start a blog with my name and surname and it hit me that i would be known with my father's name for life if i maintain the blog. so you see,it is a personal decision. You two should not quarrel over it. Just ensure you are cool with her person and every other important areas.