Forums » General News

Ex- gov Ali Modu Sheriff accuses Borno state govt. of murder

• 119 posts
    February 14, 2015 8:46 AM CET

Former Governor of and leader of PDP in Borno State Ali Modu Sheriff yesterday accused some officials of the present administration in the state and their associates (names withheld) of allegedly conniving to kill the man who would have succeeded him in office, Alhaji Modu Fannami Gubio in 2011.

Gubio, who was elected the governorship candidate of the defunct All Nigeria People’s Party, ANPP, was killed shortly afterwards by unknown people.

Sheriff spoke at the Emir of Shani’s Palace, Alhaji Nasiru Mailafiya as well as while addressing over 10,000 APC supporters who defected to the PDP in the council headquarters.

“Many of you are aware that the present Governor Shettima was not the person I initially planned to succeed me in office, but when my former Commissioner, Alhaji Modu Fannami Gubio was elected as the governorship candidate of my defunct party (ANPP) in 2011, they (some people who participated in the primaries) hired some assassins to kill Fannami one week to INEC dateline for submission of our candidate’s name.

“Unfortunately, we had no option at that time than to rush and pick Shettima who came second to replace him (late Fannmani). May his soul (Fannmani) rest in peace,” Sheriff told the gathering.

Sheriff, who was one of the sponsors of the defunct ANPP, before it metamorphosed into APC, joined the PDP, citing alleged ‘’selfish interest, bad governance and lack of transparency in the leadership of his former party,’’ as reasons for leaving the APC.

He told the gathering that he had never joined a failed political party as symbolised by the APC, adding that he remained the only governor who was elected for two terms, and served as Senator for three terms. Sheriff also asked the people of the state to collect and safeguard their Permanent Voters’ Cards, PVCs, to enable them perform their civic rights in the forth-coming 2015 general elections by voting for Alhaji Mohammed Imam as governor of the state and the PDP at the national level, as according to him, the APC-led government of Shettima has collected over N600 billions without no single project of N10 million executed in any of the 27 council areas of the state in the last four years.