Forums » Men's Forum

Must I do Masters?

• 867 posts
    September 17, 2016 6:41 AM CEST
    I finished my NYSC program at age 27 and got a job immediately.
    Now I'm 29, planning to get married at 30.

However, my would be father in law says he will not give out his daughter to anyone without a masters degree.

I have no plans for a masters program, not even with the incessant strikes in Nigerian universities.

Should I look for someone else? After all, she's not the only potential spouse around.
    • 16 posts
    September 17, 2016 9:09 AM CEST
    It's already an you have to overcome. One point to consider is what your fiancé is saying about it. Is she on your side or on the side of her dad? That will determine whether you have to try harder or not. If she is supporting you I believe with prayer and time her father will have no option than to agree but if she is on side of her dad it's better you move on with your life. Although having masters is not a criteria for getting a wife, if you are interested you can enroll. Some universities are fast these days depending on your ability to finish your research on time. May the LORD guide you ijn
    • 194 posts
    September 19, 2016 10:20 AM CEST
    Hmm brother, before i address the main issue, I must say your last statement should not be coming from you. Is it over this issue that you're asking "if u should look for someone else and that she is not the only potential spouse around"...that's not right.

You make it sound like you just picked her up, and you can drop her if you feel like. Sounds like you dont have that indepth conviction for this woman and you still have many options open. Be careful of going into marriage with this mentality.

Anyways, its not compulsory to do Msc. But you can as well plan to do it much later. If your fiancee supports you, then with patience and prayer, the father would agree. However if she insists on Msc too, then obviously you both are not heading same place, can two walk together except the agree??