Forums » KHC Inspiration

Proudly Woman

• 7 posts
    March 8, 2017 8:46 AM CET
    In today's society, it's common to feel ashamed for being a woman, for obtaining these physical traits that we do and for having to deal with the things that go on in our body. Culture has had the tendency of making it seem as though we are gross or repulsive when it's simply apart of being a woman -- and I think that it's all beautiful, and part of nature and life. Don't ever let the world make you feel like you're less important than you actually are. Everyone, no matter what gender or orientation, is gorgeous in their own ways. For me, I'm proud to be a woman, and this is who I am. I am a woman, hear me roar.
    Being a woman, I am faced with a lot of double bind issues. I'm head to head with sexist remarks, harassment on the daily (i.e. catcalling) double standards, belittlement, patriarchal roles such as being the "mother" or doing something maternal just because I am a female. I am thrown up to these expectations, and if I decide not to have children someday, I am somehow an "evil person." From birth, I have been one of the many women who have dealt with these kinds of issues. Ever since I was a little girl, I have been told not to walk alone at nighttime, and if I must, to bring someone with me. I never exactly questioned those kinds of things because I was younger and I was just born into that. It seemed normal to me. But as I got older, I started to wonder why women usually almost always have to hurdle over these obstacles. Why do women have to do these things? Why are women put in these boxes and roles?
    Now don't get me wrong, I know that there are multiple struggles that men face. Having to oppress feelings is a huge one. There's that stereotype that if a man cries or shows any kind of emotion, he is labeled as a pansy, or even "gay" or "not manly enough." Men are taught to like tough things that usually relate to violence.
    The bottom line is that there are downsides to each gender, and both contain their own kind of struggles. However, there are those times where I feel extraordinarily proud to be a woman. Yes, we endure so many problems, and sometimes, everyday can be simply irritating as we are just trying to be taken seriously in this world. But at the end of the day, there is a silver lining to having these infuriating rules and regulations. And sometimes, they work to our advantage. These complications and battles have made me proud to be a woman.