Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Chronicles of Greatness (4) - Amaka Igwe

• 199 posts
    March 14, 2015 5:02 AM CET

Amaka Igwe (1963 –2014 )

" Nollywood is a global movement”

-Amaka Igwe

Uzoamaka Audrey 'Amaka' was born to Isaac and Patience Ene on 2 January 1963 in Port-Harcourt. She was the fifth of seven children, and the fourth of six sisters. Her Favourite colour was blue.

Nicknamed ‘Uzanka’, Amaka was also known in her household as 'GOC (General Commanding Officer)' by her father and 'Storm' by her mother because she always had activities around her. Her portfolio in the household was Minister of Youth, Sports and Culture. Little dis they know that would be he future career.

She had her early education at All Saints School and Awkunanaw Girls High School in Enugu. She could box and she could play basketball. She was a 'Tom Boy'. She set up a library, as well as many other public works and ventures on behalf of her neighborhood.

During her A-Levels in Idia College, She trained people in the Atilogu dance which became the school dance and was used to compete nationally. She wrote plays songs, and other creative exploits. She studied Education/Religion at the University of Ife (Now Obafemi Awolowo University) instead of Law which was her initial passion.

From OAU, Amaka signed the MNET short celluloid film ‘Barbers Wisdom’ as director and then proceeded to the University of Ibadan where she grabbed a Master’s degree in Library and Information Services.

During NYSC she was the Travelling Secretary for the Scripture Union and she obtained procured an MSc in Information Science.

She worked at the Anambra State University of Technology and as an executive director at Eida Information Systems. This was her last before she moved fully into the creative industry.

Amaka met her husband in 1992. Before then, they had once schooled in the same primary school.

In 1993, they got married.

In 1995, they had their first child Ruby, in 1999, they had their second David and in 2002, they had their last child Daniel.(Born 2002).

Amaka was a writer, producer, director,entrepreneur and teacher. She also pioneered modern Nigerian TV drama and film.

She was the founder of BOBTV Expo, she was also the founder and CEO of Top Radio 90.9fm, Amaka Igwe Studios. Q Entertainment Network (a brooding DSTV)was her ongoing project before she passed on.

She was the writer and producer of Checkmate and Fuji house of comotion.

Fuji house of commotion was extracted from Checkmate years after checkmate was aired.

She died 28th April, 2014 8:30am after a long time battle with Asthma.

Filmography: Violated, Rattle Snake, Forever etc

TV Series: Checkmate, Fuji House of Commotion etc

Awards: She won several award with the most recent being the Member of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (MFR) in 2011.

Famous Quotes: I am an unapologetic commercial filmmaker. I make films to make money."

"I will give you all I have, so you can add it to what you have and be better than me." "By the Special Grace of God." "Mr. President, what is Arik Air without an airport?"

Outstanding Attributes: Passion, Zeal and Determination

Supporting Attributes: Business Accumen and Focus

Compiled from Amaka Igwe's Biography.

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.