Forums » Proverbs - Review

Proverbs Chapter 1

• June 29, 2017 10:24 AM CEST

I really love the message translation

Verse 2 says

Written down so we'll know how to live well and right, to understand what life means and where it's going;

Proverb  1:1-7 talks more about the fools,  the unteachable types of people, close minded.... The arrogant type of people who purposely reject God's instructions and will not yield to Gods word

The word has been written to us and for us for our own advantage. It really shows God's love, he wants us to live right and well and have direction. And he provided what we need to do so

God let's us know what he wants from us and he gives us the means to do those things

Basically for me from the preliminary verses (1- around 8 I guess) I see clearer that wisdom cannot be separated from instruction so I Know now that I have to choose carefully the instructions I give heed to so I can source for the right kind of wisdom. God wants us to have direction in life. Not to live haphazardly and He has made the means available

The second thing that struck me in verse 5 is that for wisdom to be sustained and increased then learning shouldn't cease. So I shouldn't get to the point where am sufficient with the knowledge I've got least I begin to loose wisdom. You know the instructions given are to help us,  guide us in the right path, if you read further in verse 8 which talks bout enticement,  really if we keeps the laws they help us to conquer some of this temptation. Verse 10 talks about our choices! No one would be responsible for the sins or errors we commit. So the consequences is borne solely by the bearer
    Proverbs  1:2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

Instructions are key in our lives.
    To perceive... Amplified says to help us discern...
    So you will know when one bros is deceiving you ????. GNT 20 Listen! Wisdom is calling out in the streets and marketplaces, 21 calling loudly at the city gates and wherever people come together: Wisdom is everywhere. Only if we're sensitive enough to tap it

Proverbs  1:33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

Whoso harkens... We are left with our choices.
    If you harken, good for you

24 “Because I called and you refused [to answer], I stretched out my hand and no one has paid attention [to my offer]; 25 And you treated all my counsel as nothing And would not accept my reprimand, 26 I also will laugh at your disaster; I will mock when your dread and panic come, That's what happened in Romans chapter 1.
    The Bible says he gave them over to a reprobate mind.
    They did things that lacked common sense... Because they put the creature over the creator

Proverbs 1:22 GW"How long will you gullible people love being so gullible? How long will you mockers find joy in your mocking? How long will you fools hate knowledge?

It's time to embrace knowledge folks.
    It's time to do things differently.
    It's time to challenge yourself and move forward
    18 KJV:And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives.
    Pls some one should post d message version for me...

1:18 Yet that's what these people are doing-- they're doing themselves in.
    Proverbs 1:23 (NIV)Repent at my rebuke! Then I will pour out my thoughts to you, I will make known to you my teachings.

If you are being rebuked, accept.
    That's only when God's spirit can be poured out into you.
    That's only when God's word can be a reality in your life

Proverbs 1:30-31, MSG
    1:30 Because you wouldn't take my advice and brushed aside all my offers to train you,
    1:31 Well, you've made your bed--now lie in it; you wanted your own way--now, how do you like it?

Our actions and inaction will always have consequences. And we're the one that'll reap it.. Whether good or bad.. It's beat to follow wisdom

Please I think that rebuking part should be emphasized,  u know many a times our parents do rebuke us for something we do but we see it as a form of hatred or my parent don't like me, but they know and have seen that those things we are been rebuked for are not just good for us, so is God,  we he rebuke us it because God loves us so that y he chastise us so we can be on the right part

The Bible says d servant is not greater than the Master.
    Rebuke is a corrective measure.
    In secondary school, when we write correction, our eyes are opened to our mistakes.
    If we decide not to write as d teacher is writing, we make d same mistake again.

When you are being rebuked, accept it.
    It's meant to correct a wrong in you. True sir, and I think it also applies in church too, when we are been rebuked, let also listen and repent, our leaders are there not to dictate but also help us in the right part. Yap... If ur not corrected, the bible likens such person to a bastard.
    So you should actually crave correction ????

Wonderful... They are doing themselves... Say it in Yoruba to get the real meaning ????.

Galatians says God cannot be mocked

In summary, commandments and rules are there to guides us from straying away, they help us to walk in the right part and be steadfast, when given it is good to hearken to em so that we will run in the direction, let not be stiffed neck, stone heart type,  when God gives instructions it is good to yield, be open minded, in all your doing get wisdom
    May God help us to be doers and not just hearers of the word.. We've learnt something today.. Let's ensure we put them into practice

SOME LESSONS FROM TODAY

1. Don't be close-minded (you won't be able to learn anything that way)

2. The word is written for our benefit

3. Wisdom cannot be separated from instruction,  they go hand in hand

4. Don't stop learning

5. Make wise choices, no one will bear the consequences with you.

6. Wisdom is everywhere, be sensitive and tap into it.