Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Episode 1

• 199 posts
    April 18, 2015 5:05 AM CEST

Great News: By popular demand and request, Corper Shun!!! First series of Diamond in the Rough will be in Hard Print and dedicated at the MEGA Conference coming up Oct. 29 – Nov 1 this year! Please stay alert for further information. Thank you!

PLATOON TWO

EPISODE 1

At exactly 8:50am, the plane landed at Muritala Mohammed Airport, Ikeja Lagos State. As the Pilot made the landing announcement, I felt the butterflies in my belly and my eyes widened as if they would pop out any moment.

I had been feeling like Casper, the friendly ghost since the plane was in the air going through the clouds seamlessly like the breeze slips through closed windows. The pillows of cloud gave me so much hope of fulfilment as they sat comfortably in the sky in groups. They happily expressed the creativity of a well organised Creator, the radiance of a genius with aesthetic demeanour.

My world of imagination was punctured by the jerking sensation as the tyres of the plane touched the ground. I caught myself trying to unlock my seat belt out of eagerness to step out of the plane but I had to wait for the plane to land completely and come to a halt. The Air Hostesses beaconed to passengers standing to sit down while the plane landed safely.

When it finally stopped, every one stood up to pick their luggage from the overhead locker. I had to wait patiently for my turn as one of the passengers' bags was in front of mine. When she took hers, I picked mine.

“Alright Derin, my driver is waiting for me at the arrival, we could drop you at Ikeja Bus Garage where you can get a bus to Iyana Paja where the NYSC Camp is. I'm sure you will see your mates at the garage.” Mrs Williams said.

“Yes ma” I replied.

“I am going to Victoria Island and its off your way, I'd have dropped you at the camp myself.” Mrs Williams explained further as we walked down the runway towards the arrival.

“Alright Ma, that will be fine ma, thank you very much ma.” I responded.

Mrs Williams and I sat beside each other in the plane during the flight. She was a fair complexioned chubby woman who had a beautiful natural long hair looked like a wig, she looked like a woman in her mid-40's. She must have heard me when I whispered to myself “Lagos, wait for me, Aderinmola Adeyosola is coming in grand style!” that statement must have caught her attention because she chuckled after I said it and she asked if it was my first time going to Lagos. She was not surprised when I answered in the affirmative. That was the genesis of our conversation.

She told me more about Lagos and encouraged me to have fun but in her words she said “Have fun wisely but always remember the home you are from and make your coming to Lagos worthwhile.”

We talked all through the trip. She told me about her son who also commenced his service year at the same time but was posted to Jos. To me, that was just an irony. It was her son's first time in Jos. He had always wanted to be there because he had heard that some of the popular Nigerian artists and talents like TuFace, Cobhams Asuquo, Jeremiah Gyang, Panam Percy Paul and so on that reigned in Lagos then started form Jos.

According to Mrs Williams, it was not her first time in Jos, she just decided to see her son off so she could seize the opportunity to see her cousin whom she had not seen in ten years. Her son was the first child and he was only 20 years old too. They had been in Jos a week before the Orientation Camp was to start and she was just returning to Lagos that morning leaving her son to move on with his life in the new phase.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl 

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at April 20, 2015 10:31 AM CEST