Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Episode 2

• 199 posts
    April 19, 2015 5:12 AM CEST

PLATOON TWO

Last Episode

At exactly 8:50am, the plane landed at Muritala Mohammed Airport, Ikeja Lagos State. As the Pilot made the landing announcement, I felt the butterflies in my belly and my eyes widened as if they would pop out any moment.

I had been feeling like Casper, the friendly ghost since the plane was in the air going through the clouds seamlessly like the breeze slips through closed windows. The pillows of cloud gave me so much hope of fulfilment as they sat comfortably in the sky in groups. They happily expressed the creativity of a well organised Creator, the radiance of a genius with aesthetic demeanour.

Mrs Williams and I sat beside each other in the plane during the flight. She was a fair complexioned chubby woman who had a beautiful natural long hair looked like a wig, she looked like a woman in her mid-40's. She must have heard me when I whispered to myself “Lagos, wait for me, Aderinmola Adeyosola is coming in grand style!” that statement must have caught her attention because she chuckled after I said it and she asked if it was my first time going to Lagos.

Her son was the first child and he was only 20 years old too. They had been in Jos a week before the Orientation Camp was to start and she was just returning to Lagos that morning leaving her son to move on with his life in the new phase.

For full story of episode 1, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 2

When we entered the airport, our tickets were checked and we passed the necessary check points we needed to pass. Mrs Williams was patient and kind enough to wait for me to pick up my bag from the carriage. She had only her hand luggage. We waited for 20 minutes at the Baggage Claim Section. When my bag came out, I picked it and we were on our way out in no time.

When we got outside, her driver was already waiting at the arrival. He looked like an educated driver. He wore a blue shirt and a black tie on a pair of well-ironed black trousers.

“Welcome ma, how was your trip?” He greeted and asked as he collected her bag.

“Thank you Deji, it was fine thank God. This is Derin” She said as she gently touched my shoulder “She is among the Corps Members that just resumed today, it's her first time in Lagos and we'll be dropping her off at the garage before we go home ok?” She instructed.

“Yes ma” The driver answered. “Good morning sister” He said to me.

“Good morning sir” I replied.

As we strolled down to the Car Park, I looked around with so much awe. I saw many people walking briskly in and out of the entrance. They walked so fast, they buzzed like bees.

I saw people still waiting for those they expected while some had already seen those they waited for. One could easily tell as they exchanged pleasantries.

Taxi drivers also looked for passengers saying “Taxi?” Recharge card hawkers sold their recharge cards and there were others who also offered telephone call services for passengers who needed to call.

“Buy your resharge card” one of the hawkers pointed a pack of MTN recharge cards at me. I was startled, he almost put his hand in my eyes, his voice was croaky and I wondered how recharge card could be pronounced asresharge card. Another person came toward me, catcalling “psst, fine girl, Taxi here for you” he said as he grabbed my wrist. I jerked my hand off his grip. There was flush of embarrassment on my face, I looked disgusted. Mrs Williams smiled as she saw my reaction.

“Wait, until you go get a bus” she said, “then you will be properly welcomed to Lagos” I could only smile back while I wondered what she meant by that.

It was a brief walk from the arrival to the car park. Mrs WilliamsCar was a Brand new Kia Sportage (2005 Model). It was metallic gray colour and the latest in that year. I looked at the car with admiration, the driver collected our bags and put it in the boot. As soon as I entered the carthe coolness of the air conditionermixed with the vanilla smell of the car’s air freshener sent me to an unexpected wonderland, I took in the fresh air like a child feeling the soothing breeze of the breaking of a new dawn. Finally, my dream to be in Lagos was a reality. Within seconds, I comported myself as Mrs Williams came in from the right hand side of the back seat also known as Owner's Corner.

When both of us got in, we were ready to leave. As the driver started the ignition the car radio automatically came on with some Jazz music from a CD the driver must have been playing earlier when he got to the airport. I felt like I was in a whole new world. The driver drove carefully out of the car park to the gate, paid the toll fee and we were out in no time.

There was a long traffic from the airport gate to the main road. Mrs Williams told me traffic was a common feature with Lagos especially during work days in the mornings and evenings. She also said the garage was not far from the airport that once we were able to go through the traffic successfully, we would get to the garage in no time. I nodded and smiled as she talked. It did not matter to me how long the traffic would take. I was in Lagos, that was first the most important thing to me and the second was that I was enjoying the atmosphere in her car.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at April 20, 2015 11:28 AM CEST