Forums » "Musings" with Ola Kris

Beautiful Arrangements

• 6 posts
    June 17, 2015 7:41 AM CEST

For the past 18 calendars I have shared my life with a most gracious work of artistic cleverness and an obvious masterpiece. A beautifully arranged lady. My sister Titilola is beautiful. Very so! She is not only pretty externally, she has grace and presence within. A most beautiful soul! Her likes seldom appear better packaged and she leads her pack and tops her rank. God makes beautiful arrangements.

You see, when you are raised by Titilola’s parents, you rarely get rotten. Her mum chastised with whips, words and looks. One look keeps a child in line for a whole month or two. You even get a couple of playbacks in your dreams. Ha!!! Talk about killer looks, Nigerian mums keep them at close call; right there in their hand bags.

Those were instruments of individual or mass correction. They had enough to go round their own kids and even kids from dysfunctional homes in their neighbourhoods! I got quite a few growing up. Hey, I would rather be raised by a Nigerian mum all over again. They don’t play! Her dad, on the other hand, nearly never used whips; words did it for him. His words were avoided by his kids like a plague. One admonition takes you a lifetime to process. Better be whipped by him than spoken to. My sister Titilola was well groomed… for me. God makes great arrangements.

Now Titilola obviously does not come across as a strong person, no thanks to her quietness. She listens more than she speaks; she observes more than she complains. She supports more than hijack leadership. Since her marriage to her post-high school lover, she has kept a clean slate in her character. An enviable personality! My sister has also changed.

Recently I realised a peculiar change in her. She analyses football admirably well. Unlike their love for romance movies, women are seldom given to analysing football. But not Titilola! She knows the UEFA,Bundesliga,FA,Backlays,La Liga and the other major “Ligas”. Titilola has favourites too; from Okocha to Kanu, Rooney, Crouch, Sterling, Balotelli etc. She knows the clubs also and coaches too. How so? And then it dawned on me that my sister has not only allowed me to enjoy soccer. She has decided to know about it too.

Although she still relishes her romance movies, Titilola has added a new addiction to her collection. This discovery has humbled me continuously. I ordinarily don’t do romance movies. Why would I? Thrillers with guns and fast cars keep me active; only those drive my adrenaline. Puleeeeze.....a man has got to be a man o. But I have also changed, hey! Titilola has changed me too. I now watch food channels ala Master chef, Ramsey, next great baker; I watch fashion shows and soapies.

I even watch romance movies too, even if I have to sleep off while at it. Just as I was writing this and watching Queen’s Park Rangers play host to Liverpool, Titilola walks into the living room and flips the channel to BBC Lifestyle and we begin to watch "Come Dine With Me". No questions, no pains, no regrets, no offences, no excuses and obviously no sense of loss for me. It’s just a game. Besides I could see a re-broadcast! It would be stupid to allow a GAME destroy what I have. Life goes on. And it looked so beautiful. God makes beautiful arrangements.

This is what Apostle Paul meant when he said to “be in subjection one to another” in Ephesians chapter five. It’s all about ADAPTATION. She has adapted to me and I have adapted to her. 18 years down the road…we have both changed. Marriage changes people. It should.

Thanks Yewande for saying YES to my proposal way back…and for “blindly” walking that altar with me. I am favoured. 18 years…like YESTERDAY! God indeed makes beautiful arrangements. God makes women pretty…inside out!!! Sometimes I feel strongly that women were created as an "improved version of a good product". And there are several of them reading this piece NOW and LIKING it!!!! I love you all...and I love your sister Yewande....MOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 posts
    June 17, 2015 11:16 AM CEST
    Thank you so much Rev. Ola Kris, I am so blessed by this.
    • 5 posts
    June 17, 2015 11:50 AM CEST

Whaoooooooooooooooo, i really enjoy your write up,it is real beautiful arrangement,God bless you sir,thanks

• 1 posts
    June 19, 2015 9:54 AM CEST
    I really love this. What an understanding
    • 1 posts
    July 4, 2015 10:21 AM CEST
    Its indeed a beautiful arrangement. God be praised