Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Ep 19 - Lagos Camp Experience Week 1

• 199 posts
    July 11, 2015 8:51 PM CEST

PLATOON TWO

Last Episode

As I walked off, I thought about what just happened. I was a little scared. It was not what I had bargained for. John Paul looked quite rough, he was a fellow corps member like I was and he had nothing to offer me. All these thoughts ran to and fro my head like rats playing in an abandoned building.

Derin! Where in the world have you been?” My thoughts were interrupted by Lewa's question. Lewa noticed the dryness in my voice and wanted to ask but I gave her the don't ask me look which she understood and kept quiet.

So what did I miss?” I asked as I tried to loosen up.

As we gisted, we both walked to where Irene was and Irene was already through with her registration. After I introduced Lewa and Irene, we left the registration spot together. Just then, the bugle was blown and we had to go to the parade ground.

For full story of episode 18, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 19

LAGOS CAMP EXPERIENCE -WEEK 1

We assembled according to our platoons. I was glad when I found out that Irene was in my platoon. Her number was 1992. So there I was, with a familiar face in the same platoon. There were more females than males in the platoon and it was led by a friendly military officer from Minna, Niger State in the Northern part of Nigeria.

His name was Musa, he was as dark as a charcoal or I'd rather describe him as black, that's how dark complexioned he was. He was tall, a little chubby and he looked like he was six months pregnant with the size of his stomach. I laughed to myself at the fact that a military officer could look that way despite their rigorous exercises.

When he introduced himself, he told us that we would be his friend if we adhered strictly to the rules and regulations of the camp. I still remember correctly his facial expression when he saw many females than males. He looked like he was going to drop a bomb. He said

Wayo! ganin mãsu yawa mata duk a gare ni! Chai!” meaning, Oh! see many women all for me! He then called all the men in the platoon Asawo meaning prostitute in Yoruba Language which is the western part of Nigeria.

Any time any member of the platoon misbehaved, he called the person asawo, he never meant it as an insult but he said it in a joking way to replace otondo which every corps member was known and called. In no time, platoon two was known as the asawo platoon in addition to the fact that it was recognised as the platoon with the best behaved corps members. This did not mean there were no corps members that misbehaved, there were just more well behaved ones than the ill behaved.

While we were assembled, Irene, Lewa and I stood behind each other, we were asked to stand according to our heights. Irene and I were of the same height while Lewa was slightly taller than both of us.

After like what seemed like 5 minutes, the sound of the microphone feedback came on and we were addressed by the Camp Commandant.

The name of the Camp Commandant was Sir Yerima, he was the same man that addressed us the first day everyone resumed on Camp. He was tall, slim and a little dark complexioned. His military uniform rested on his body perfectly like he was a mannequin sent from United Kingdom, His military cap brought out his well – chiseled face that made his mouth moved in such a perfect rhythm that one would not need to hear the words and still understand what he said. He was a near perfect creature.

Mr Yerima informed Corps Members that the Camp would officially open the next day which was a thursday. The current governor then would address and welcome Corps Member in the afternoon. He further said, Corps members would be taught the NYSC Anthem in the morning after the regular early morning jogging. Everybody was supposed to learn and know it off hand by afternoon so after the governor's address it would be sang.

He informed everybody of the welcome party on friday night popularly known and called Camp Fire night and urged everyone to be there. Sir Yerima concluded his address by warning Corps members to be well behaved and stay within the Camp, attempt to disobey the rule will attract severe punishment.

Is that clear?” He asked in his famous authoritative tone.

Yes Sir!” Corps Member responded sharply.

He said this three time and we responded three times. At the third time someone screamed from the back

Help!” The soldiers ran to the scene as the corps members behind scattered.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at July 11, 2015 9:00 PM CEST