Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Ep 25 - Camp Fire Night

• 199 posts
    August 7, 2015 2:58 AM CEST

PLATOON TWO

Last Episode

Lewa came to say hello to us. When she saw that we had just started eating. She bought her food and joined us.

After eating and talking for a long time, three of us left Maami Market to our room. Irene changed her mind about going with me to the party since I already had Lewa going with me. I did not mind, afterall Lewa seemed to be livelier than Irene and the party would not be boring with her.

That night when we got to the hostel, I called Annabel and Shaye called me. They both spoke with Irene and instructed her to keep a close watch over me. It sounded funny but I was less concerned. I had not spoken with my parents since after the first day so I made up my mind to call them in the morning. I set my alarm for the next day and slept. It was a restful night.

For full story of episode 24, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 25

CAMP FIRE NIGHT 

The familiar bird beaconed on corps members at the usual time – 5:30am and the normal morning routine was done accordingly. After we left the parade ground, Irene and Lewa left together to Maami Market. I was not in the mood for food that morning. I just wanted to stay light for Camp Fire.

Lewa had been excited since the previous day when she found out about the party and she went on and on about her godmother. I looked forward to meeting her godmother and I had a funny feeling it could be Sheila. I was quick to dismiss the thought because I did not expect to Lewa to know Sheila.

I called my parents as planned and I was happy to know all was going well back home. I also called Mr Gb, my former college officer who I had not spoken with since the first day in camp. Everyone was fine and that was what mattered.

However, while I was still basking in the euphoria of hearing from home, I looked forward to evening time when welcome party for corps members would hold and I was going to meet the Camp Dons. My target was Damien, the former commissioner's son.

He should have good money to spoil me” I thought to myself.

Well, money was not really my problem, my parents took care of me and gave me all I needed, just that my father already said he would not send me monthly allowance anymore since I would be paid as a corps member – both government and my place of primary assignment.

Excuse me, you must be Derin” A tall mildly fair complexioned guy said to me. He looked familiar.

Yes, I am, how may I help you?” I said, trying to remember where I met him.

Well, I'm Patrick, I'm in Platoon 5” He said.

Ok? You know my name already, nice to meet you though. Still how can I help?” I asked. I was beginning to get impatient because I needed to go freshen up and attend the lecture for the morning.

Errm, well, errm, ok, I just wanted to say hi, I noticed you since the first day in camp and I've been watching you. I kinda like your person.” He said. He sounded rather nervous. I assessed from head to toe. He was good looking no doubt but he looked rather gentle and quiet for me. He struck me as another Shaye but I've been told never to trust any corps member.

Alright, thank you. I appreciate your boldness.” I said quickly and was almost dashing off.

Could I have your number?” He said quickly.

Sure, 0703 519 4048” I said.

Thank you, i'll give you a call later today” he said.

No probs” I said and left.

He's not bad...” I teased myself as I strolled to the hostel.

Aderinmola, when will learn to calm down?” I asked myself.

How will you explore if you are always yelling at handsome guys?” I teased myself again. I laughed at myself and entered the hostel.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!