Forums » Pearl's Cafe

CORPER SHUN!!! Episode 12

• 199 posts
    February 8, 2015 6:41 AM CET

CORPER SHUN!!!

Last Episode

As if he saw something for the first time, Shaye looked at me wide eyed “So you mean you did not hear all I was saying?”

I was determined to get it over with, I never wanted to hurt Shaye, so as he walked forward I stood in front of him and said

“ha ha now, but I said I am sorry, you know am a great listener, today is just different. Sweet? Talk to me love,”

Irene was one of my course mates, we went to the same secondary school. She was a beautiful, shapey girl too, nominated for Miss Shape in secondary school, two-time punctuality prefect, best debater of our set then and best behaved student. We were of the same height and I really liked and admired her. I was so glad to see her again when we ended up in the same University.

“Irene where were you posted?” I asked,

“My dear, it's Lagos o!” she replied.

“Wow! This is good, I'm loving this!” I said, obviously excited.

Irene was surprised, “shu, why?”

“I am also posted to Lagos too!” I told her happily!

“Wow! That’s great, we blessed God, which means we will be together!” She said in her 'spirikoko' way.

For full story of episode 11, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 12

“Spirikoko” is yet another expression used in Nigeria for Born Again Christians who are 100% devoted to their service

and dedication to God. This is usually reflected in their conduct and conversations with people.

I was glad to have Irene posted to Lagos. At least, I'd have a familiar face with me in Lagos. I was definitely going to miss my dear Annabel but we would talk on phone and visit each other. Sometimes I wondered why Irene and I had to be together for so long; same secondary school, same University now we were going to serve at the same place.

“Perfectment!” I replied. “Perfectment!” is the French word for perfect.

Shaye smiled and said, “That’s beautiful at least I have someone to leave my baby to.”

“Shaye where were you posted to?” Irene asked.

“PH.” Shaye responded sharply.

“Wow, this is good. Thank God, Don’t worry, God will see you through.” Irene said as she looked at Shaye and I.

“Yes o! It’s just that I’ll miss my baby, it’s inevitable,” Shaye replied and looked at me.

“The will of God has to be done!” He added.

“Don’t worry, this will strengthen our love.” I quickly interrupted before he makes me go emotional.

“I believe physical distance should strengthen love because we will miss each other but value ourselves more.”  

“Ok guys, I have to go now,” Irene said as she picked her bag, “I have eaten already.”

“Thanks Irene,” Shaye and I chorused.

“See you at the camp.” I said to her...

There was a long pause after Irene left, then, Shaye spoke up, “I’ll miss you Derin but don’t worry, I’ll be faithful to you” he said as he placed his right palm on my cheek gently.

I rested my face in his palm and held his hand tightly to my cheek and said “Me too” Shaye. Then we shared our plans with each other after which, we ate and left for our various houses.

It was a long silent walk the gate. It was getting dark and the number of students had drastically reduced. The street of the school premises had become quiet and the breeze was cool. We strolled to the gate together and took a bus home.

While we were in the bus, Shaye affirmed his promise to stay faithful and promised to marry me after our NYSC. I found myself crying. Three weeks was like three years for a someone whom we saw almost everyday. I loved Shaye but I was puzzled about the thought of marriage. I wanted to explore that was basic on my mind.

Shaye and I alighted at the last bus stop to my house, we hugged each other tightly and bade ourselves farewell. By this time, my tears had dried up and I walked home happily.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.