Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Chronicles of Greatness 1 - Helen Keller

• March 2, 2015 6:44 AM CET

HELEN KELLER (1880 - 1968)

“Though I cannot see the world or hear it... I can imagine it, I can sense it and I can believe in it.” Sincerely, Helen Keller

Helen Keller was born June 27, 1880 to Arthur and Katherine Keller in Tuscumbia Alabama.

She was the first of their two daughters but the third of the children because she had two elder step brothers.

Her father served once as an officer in the Confederate Army during the Civil war.

He later became the Editor of a weekly local Newspaper called the North Alabamian.

The family earned their income through their cotton plantation.

She started speaking at six months and at one year she had started walking.

At eighteen months, she contracted Brain Fever disease which produced a high body temperature.

This led to her blindness and deafness.

During her transition from Babyhood to childhood She developed a bond with Martha Washington. The young daughter of their family cook.

At 7 years, she and her friend already had more than sixty signs to communicate with each other.

In 1887, Keller was introduced to her new Tutor Anne Sullivan. Anne Sullivan was then one of the most recent graduate of Perkins Institute for the Blind in Boston, Massachusetts. The Student – Teacher relationship lasted for 49 years.

In 1890, Keller started her speech classes ate the Horace Man School for the Deaf in Boston. In 1894-1896, she attended Wright – Humason School for the Deaf in New York City.

In 1896, she attended Cambridge School for Young Ladies in 1896 where she met Mark Twain and Henry Rogers. Henry Rogers Sponsored her to Radcliff College.

In 1903, her first book was published – The Story of my life

In 1904, Keller graduated Cum Laude (With Distinction) from Radcliff College.

In 1915, she co-founded Helen Keller International with a renowned City Planner George Kessler to combat the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition.

In 1920, she founded American Civil Liberties Union.

In 1924, she became a member of American Federation for the Blind which was established in 1921.

In 1936, she received Theodore Roosevelt Distinguished Service Medal and her Tutor Ann Sullivan died the same year after experiencing several health problem and finally losing her sight.

In 1946, She was appointed Counsellor of International Relations for the American Foundation of Overseas Blind.

In 1957, she had travelled to 35 countries on five continents.

In 1955 at age 75, she did a 40,000 mile 5 month trek across Asia. Her first book – The Story of my life became the basis of television drama – The Miracle Worker.

In 1959, the story was transformed into a play with the same title.

In 1961, she suffered series of strokes.

In 1962, The Miracle Worker was transformed into a film and became an award-winning film that period.

In 1964, she received Presidential Medal of Freedom.

In 1965, she won an election to the Women's Hall of Fame.

Other Awards were: Honorary doctoral degrees from Temple University and Harvard University and from the universities of Glasgow, Scotland; Berlin, Germany; Delhi, India; and Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa. Additionally, she was named an Honorary Fellow of the Educational Institute of Scotland.

In 1968, June 1, Helen Keller died in her sleep few weeks to her 88th birthday.

Famous Quote: It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.

Other Quotes: While they were saying among themselves, it cannot be done. It was done.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into light.

Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence and I learn whatever state I am in, therein to be content.

Outstanding Attributes: Determination, Hard work and Imagination.

Supporting Attributes: Resilient Persistence and Passion to serve humanity despite her disabilities.

Compiled from Helen Keller's Biography

Helen Keller. (2015). The Biography.com website. Retrieved 07:12, Feb 28, 2015, from Biography.com 

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.