Forums » General News

How the love of Christ is pushing Sen. Ted to the White house

• 119 posts
    March 26, 2015 2:30 PM CET

Sen. Ted Cruz officially announced his presidential ambitions on Monday morning at the largest christian university in the world, the Liberty University. The announcement by Cruz was preceded not by a political platform, but a testimony about the "transformative love of Jesus Christ."

Cruz began his address to over 10,000 christian students, faculty and staff by sharing the testimony of his parent. "Imagine a young married couple living together in the 1970s, neither one of them has a personal relationship with Jesus. They have a little boy and they're both drinking far too much. They are living a fast life," said Cruz.

At a tender age of three Cruz' father, Rafael Cruz, abandoned him and his mother. While his parents were separated, a colleague invited Rafael to a Bible study at Clay Road Baptist Church in Houston, Texas. "There my father gave his life to Jesus Christ," Cruz recounted. "God transformed his heart. And he drove to the airport, bought a plan ticket and he flew back to be with my mother."

Proud of his born-again background, Cruz continued, "There are people who wonder if faith is real. I can tell you, in my family, there is not a second of doubt. For were it not for the transformative love of Jesus Christ, I would have been raised by a single mother without a father in the household."

Cruz outlined his platform with a heavy focus on religious liberty as a fundamental value. He also told the crowd that he will seek to support Israel, protect the sanctity of unborn life, repeal Obamacare, uphold Second Amendment rights and cut Common Core.

Cruz's decision to highlight faith and freedom will be a vocal point in the 2016 presidential campaign.

"God's blessing has been on America from the very beginning of this nation," Cruz told the crowd. "And I believe God is not done with America yet."