Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Ep 7 - Trip to Lagos Camp

• 199 posts
    May 9, 2015 7:10 AM CEST

PLATOON TWO

Last Episode

When we arrived at Iyanapaja, the bus stopped and every body rushed out of the Bus like there was a Prison Break. I was surprised. I was not used to this kind of life in Jos. So much rush, noise, abuse etc.

“When you go to your right, you fit trek am but e far small, just carry bike, tell am say you dey go NYSC Camp. E dey beside Government College.” He stated with his croaky voice that he could have suggested I walked down but it was a little far but I could take a bike and tell the rider I was heading for the NYSC Camp beside Government College.

“Don't worry, save your money, I'll take you there, I'm going the same way.” A deep female voice spoke.

“Just a minute” She said. She had just a bag that looked like a school bag and another travelling bag, so she carried her “school bag” on her back and carried the second travelling bag. While I pulled my bag to roll on it tyres. Then we started the long walk to the camp.

For full story of episode 6, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 7

Trip to Lagos Camp

The road buzzed with traders, buses, conductors calling passengers, hawkers selling their products and people walking to and fro the street.

There were fruit sellers who sold various fruits including apples, oranges, pineapples, bananas, pawpaw and the likes. There were petty traders who sold gala (A type of sausage snack), youghurt, there were second hand wares sellers who advertised their products (especially Shoes and clothes) by shouting “five five hundred, five five hundred.” This meant their wares were sold for N500 each.

Second hand wares are wares that have been used before by other people who do not need them again. So rather than throw them away, they decide to resell at cheaper rates to make money. I looked around happily. This part of the market reminded me of Brukutu in Jos. Brukutu also had a busy market, the noisy chatter, the sales of products and so on and for the first time since I arrived Lagos, I was able to find something similar to Jos.

“Is this your first time in Lagos?” Sheila interrupted my thoughts.

“Yes” I answered with some spark in my voice.

“No wonder” She said. I only responded with a smile.

“You don't let Lagos people know it's your first time, else, they will cheat you. Especially with the way you've been looking all over the place since we started walking to the camp.” She said.

“Really?” I asked in amazement.

“Yes, really. You have to wake up and wise up, for you to survive in Lagos. You have to be sharp and catch the flow. I could put you through if you'll let me.” She said with a smile. She had a stud on her left canine. It made her smile beautiful. Her dentition was not so white and her red lipstick reflected her perfectly carved lips. Sheila was a beautiful woman despite her unprofessional make up but she bounced slightly instead of walking like a lady. That was weird.

“Sure!” I said and nodded in agreement. She smiled again, it was then I realised she was chewing gum because she chewed the gum with a smile at the corner of her lips, she looked at me with her side – eye, an agreeing nod and she winked at me.

“She must be a nice girl. She would probably help my adventure. I think like her already” I thought to myself with a mischievous smile as we kept walking.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!