Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Chronicles of Greatness (19) Michael W. Smith

• 199 posts
    June 4, 2015 5:37 PM CEST

Michael W. Smith (1957 - )

Life is short. It's like a flower. I want to live life to the fullest. I love being alive. I love getting up every day. I love being out here and raising my kids. But if it's not God-centered, it's all in vain.

Michael W. Smith

Michael Whitaker Smith was born in Kenova, West Virginia October 7, 1957. His father worked in an oil refinery and his mom was a caterer and church secretary. He has just one sister – Kim.

Growing up, his two passions growing up were baseball and music. At age 10, he became a Christian at the age of 10 and after graduation, he moved to Nashville.

Disappointed at his inability to get a record deal, Michael Smith turned to drugs and alcohol. This was however for a short period of time.

In October 1979, he became clean and renewed his faith in God. Michael Smith started as a keyboard player for Amy Grant.

In 1981, he started performing with a Christian group called "Higher Ground." That same year he met his wife Debbie. They met in June and were married September 5 that same year.

Finally, he succeeded in landing a record deal with Reunion Records and came out with his first album titled 'Project' in 1983. All the lyrics of the album were written by his wife.

In September that same year, two days before his second anniversary, his first child Ryan was born. Michael Smith continued to record albums, releasing them about a year or two apart and he was soon playing to large crowds as his music was gaining mainstream attention.

Among his friends and family, he is called 'Smitty.' In December 1992, he was invited to Camp David by the former president, George Bush. Michael Smith founded Rocketown Records.

Michael Smith holds an honorary degree from Alderson-Broaddus College in Philippi, West Virginia (a private American Baptist affiliated college). He has also been a musical guest of Billy Graham during his evangelistic crusades

He and his wife were totally overwhelmed by the monumental success of his signature song "Friends". The song was originally written in less than 1 hour as a last-minute gift to their bible study leader who was moving away.

His song "I Wanna Tell The World" is a biographical song which talked about circumstances by which he met his wife.

He has had 31 #1 hits, his most recent being "Here I Am."

His song "Emily" was written and recorded before his daughter Emily was born. On his album "This is Your Time," two of his songs were written for two of his daughters. "She Walks With Me" for oldest daughter Whitney and "Anna" for middle daughter Anna. "Anna" was actually written years before when she was very young and was inspired by her dressing up as a ballerina and dancing as her dad played the piano. At one point Anna appeared on the radio show "20 The Countdown Magazine" and talked about the song with her dad.

In 2006, November 7 to be precise, Smith released his nineteenth album Stand. He did this album stand only in 40days.

Did his album Stand in only 40 days. Michael Smith's favourite movie is Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

On October 16, 2007, he released his 20th studio album and 3rd Christmas Album It's A Wonderful Christmas. He was a co hostCo-host, with Nicole Johnson, of an infomercial for TimeLife's "Songs4Ever" Christian music collection.

Michael W. Smith has 9 grandchildren - Audrey Kay Smith, Whitaker Corin Smith, Elam Thomas Smith, Asa Smith, Smith Elisha Mooring, Kate Victoria Mooring, Esther Ayanna Smith, Isaac Emery Smith, Harper Evangeline Bovi.

Albums: Already mentioned in the biography.

Outstanding Attributes: Love and Passion for God.

Supporting Attributes: Ability to start over and Passion to serve humanity

Compiled from Michael W. Smith Biography

Michael W. Smith. (2015). IMDB.com Retrieved 15::30 June 4 2015, from http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0809363/bio style="color: #000000;">.

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at June 4, 2015 5:39 PM CEST