Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Chronicles of Greatness (21) Andrae Crouch

• 199 posts
    July 2, 2015 7:23 AM CEST

ANDRAE EDWARD CROUCH (1942 – 2015)

Date of Birth - July 1, 1942 (with his twin sister)

Place of Birth - San Francisco, California

Parents – Benjamin & Catherine (Nee Hodnett) Crouch

Parents' Business – Crouch Cleaners, Los Angeles (Dry Cleaning Business) and Restaurant Business.

Parents' Ministry – Street preaching,hospital and prison ministries

Groups:

1. Church of God in Christ Singers (1960) with Billy Preston on keyboards. Billy Preston was the first to record the Crouch's song "The Blood Will Never Lose Its Power".

2. The Disciples (1965) with Perry Morgan, Reuben Fernandez and Bili Thedford while in Valley Junior College in San Fernando Valley to become a teacher.

Popular Songs - "The Blood Will Never Lose Its Power", "Through It All", "Bless His Holy Name", "Soon and Very Soon", "Jesus is the Answer", and "My Tribute".

Death – January 8, 2015

Comments about him after his passing:

"Today my twin brother, womb-mate and best friend went home to be with the Lord. Please keep me, my family and our church family in your prayers. I tried to keep him here but God loved him best." - His Twin Sister.

I'll never forget hearing Andraé for the first time. It was like someone had opened a whole new world of possibilities for me musically. I don't think there is anyone who inspired me more, growing up, than Andraé Crouch. The depth of his influence on Christian music is incalculable. We all owe him so much and I'll forever be grateful for the times we got to work together." - Michael W. Smith.

At 11years, Andrae was encouraged to play piano during services his father preached especially as a guest minister.

At 14 years old, he wrote his first Gospel song. He was introduced to the founders of Mana Music Publishing's – Tim & Hal Spencer by Audrey Mieir, a Christian minister and music composer who frequently sponsored new Christian music groups. The introduction led to the publishing of Crouch's song "The Blood Will Never Lose Its Power", written when he was 15 years old. Crouch's recording career was launched after the introduced Crouch's group to Light Records founder and prolific Christian songwriter Ralph Carmichael.

In 1968 , the group's first album, “Take the Message Everywhere” was recorded and released by Light Records.

In 1970, Sandra, Andrae's twin sister joined The disciples. Two more albums were released - Keep On Singin‍ ' and Soulfully

The disciples in The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson and Carnegie Hall in 1972, 1975 & 1979 respectively.

In 1979, The Disciples disbanded while Andrae continued. Alongside Bill Maxwell (Former Disciples drummer turned producer), Andrae Crouch produced projects for The Winans, Danniebelle Hall, and Kristle Murden.

In November 12, 1982, Andrae was arrested in Los Angeles for cocaine after being stopped for erractic driving. He was released a few hours later with $2500 bail after he insisted that the drug was for the person staying in his apartment. Meanwhile when he was arrested he claimed the cocaine was chicken powder.

By 1985 they had performed at the Hollywood Bowl and toured 68 countries.

In 1986, Crouch produced “Amen” the theme music for the Sherman Hemsley's sitcom.

He and his twin sister had a relationship with Michael Jackson musically and friendship wise.

In 1987, the Andraé's Choir sang background vocals along with Siedah Garrett, Glen Ballard and The Winans on Jackson's hit single “Man in the Mirror” from Bad album.

In 1991, the same choir featured in “Keep the Faith” and “Will You be there from Jackson's Dangerous album.

Between 1993 & 1994, he lost his parents and elder brother. He and his twin sister had to take over the duty of senior pastor at the Church of God in Christ, the church their parents founded in Pacoima California.

In 1995, he was featured in Warren Chaney docudrama, America: A call to Greatness.

In the same year, Andrae Crouch's choir is heard on Earth Song on Jackson's HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I project.

In 1996, Tribute: The Songs of Andraé Crouch, released by Warner Bros. Records was honored by Grammy Awards. The album featured many artists performing Crouch's classic songs and featured the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, Take 6, Twila Paris and Michael W. Smith.

In 2006, he released a 40th anniversary album featuring Lauren Evans, Crystal Lewis, Karen Clark Sheard, Tata Vega and Mavin winans.

In 2009, precisely July 7, Crouch's composition, "Soon and Very Soon" was performed by the Andraé Crouch Choir at the public memorial service for Jackson held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

In December, 2014, Andrae Crouch was admitted at the hospital for pneuminia and congestive heart failure. This made him postpone his December tour.

In January 3, 2015, he was admitted again in Los Angeles as a result of heart attack.

In January 8, 2015, 5 days later he died at the Northbridge Hospital Medical Center at the age of 72.

Compiled from Andrae Crouch: Andrae Crouch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andraé_Crouch

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at July 2, 2015 7:24 AM CEST